Equitable Learning Services (ELS) provides support and equal opportunities for students with a disability, long-term illness and/or mental health condition and primary carers of individuals with a disability.
If you identify as having a disability, long term illness or mental health condition that mayimpact upon your placement, it is important to ensure that you have registered with the Equitable Learning Services (ELS)
You are under no obligation to disclose the nature of your condition to any other staff within the University, however if reasonable adjustments can be made to assist you in your placement, we encourage you to inform email@example.com that you have registered with the ELS and to discuss if you wish to inform your employer about any reasonable adjustments you require.
Note: The term ‘reasonable adjustments’ refers to any arrangement, change or modification to academic tasks that seeks to reduce the impact of a disability, long term illness or mental health condition. Reasonable adjustments for WIL may be considered in relation to the following broad areas:
- Location of WIL placement
- Attendance requirements - Part time v’s full time; morning v’s afternoon attendance.
- Accessibility of WIL placement. This includes the physical and digital environment.
- Equipment requirements. This may include ergonomic furniture, magnifiers, modified keyboard and mouse.
- Specialised software. For example, screen reader software, speech recognition software.
- Alternative formatting of print material. For example enlarged font size.
- Individual requirements. For example: provision of sign language interpreter.
Reasonable adjustments are a means to support students to participate on the same basis as their peers, whilst ensuring that the academic integrity of a program or course is maintained. Reasonable adjustments are mandated by the Disability Discrimination Act. They should be individualised, taking into consideration the impact of the student’s condition and the type and / or circumstances of the WIL activity.
For more imformation, click here: https://www.rmit.edu.au/students/support-and-facilities/student-support/equitable-learning-services